HILLIARD, Ohio – Competition has been strong among wireless carriers this holiday season and Sprint Corporation’s recent advertising campaign continues to face strong criticism as the company offers consumers to “cut your bill in half” by switching from AT&T and Verizon. The latest news media outlet to break down the numbers was an Indianapolis television affiliate citing that Sprint could cost customers between $500 – $700 dollars. (Source: http://tiny.cc/bj3wqx).
“Verizon continues to listen to what’s important to our customers and to make sure they have the best customer experience on the best network. Our competitive position is strong coupled with our best ever pricing,” said Laura Merritt, Verizon Wireless spokesperson for Ohio/Pennsylvania/West Virginia. “But the bottom line is this: we know that no matter how much data you have, it’s only as good as the network it’s on, and Verizon Wireless’ network is second to none. So when a family or business is looking for help with their wireless devices to keep up with their busy lifestyles, Verizon is leading the industry on best overall value and experience.”
- SPRINT CLAIM: “Bring us your AT&T and Verizon bill and we’ll cut your bill in half” (Sprint Corp. website, December 15, 2014)
FACT CHECK: Sprint’s own CFO was forced to tell investors and reporters that the “deal” doesn’t save consumers 50 percent. Confirmed in the fine-print the Sprint offer “requires a non-discounted phone” purchased at time of transaction whereas Verizon offers discounts as much as $200 for a top device. Sprint also requires the customer to surrender their former phone and that could be worth hundreds of dollars in value. Verizon is offering customers a minimum of $100 trade-in value for their existing smartphone in good working condition when customers purchase a new Samsung Galaxy S5 or DROID Turbo.
- A number of national and local media outlets have raised concerns that Sprint is overstating the benefits of its promotion. Including:
- Additional factors customers should be aware of with Sprint’s offer:
- If data needs change (the customer add lines and/or want to increase data), the customer loses the half-price promotion and must choose a current Sprint plan.
- The “up to $350″ early termination credit or device installment buyout is issued on a Visa Gift card that may take up to 12 weeks to arrive.
- Data allowance is on-network only. Sprint restricts domestic data roaming to 100MB and applies overages after that point. To see where a customer would roam with Sprint, visit Sprint.com/coverage and select the ‘Data’ tab.
- SPRINT CLAIM: “Welcome to the all-new Sprint Network, built from the ground up to be smarter, faster and better than ever before.” (Sprint Corp. website, December 15, 2014, http://tiny.cc/z4uwqx)
FACT CHECK: Verizon network is consistently ranked #1 by third-party testing.
- Verizon Wireless consistently earns top rankings from independent consumer reporting and testing institutions for network quality and performance. In the first half of 2014, one of the top third-party testers released its second national report and Verizon Wireless received the highest award for overall network performance in Ohio and Pennsylvania. Scores were based on tests performed from January through June 2014. The company ranked the four major U.S. wireless providers in six categories: Overall, Reliability, Speed, Data, Call and Text network performance. (Source: http://tinyurl.com/pypefbf)
- SPRINT CLAIM: “We’ve enhanced our nationwide 3G and 4G LTE networks.” (Sprint Corp. website, December 15, 2014, http://tiny.cc/z4uwqx)
FACT CHECK: The Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network is the largest in the United States. Verizon’s 4G LTE network is now available in more than 500 markets to 98 percent of the U.S. population and covers nearly 308 million people.
- Verizon Wireless is regularly testing, maintaining and fine-tuning the network to ensure that customers have the top-notch service to stay connected to their mobile life. The Verizon network test drive team is one of the largest of its kind of any U.S. wireless company. Every year, the dedicated test men and women drive roughly 1 million miles in specially equipped vehicles to conduct more than 3 million voice call attempts and more than 12 million data tests across the country to compare the performance of the Verizon Wireless network with our competitors’ networks. (Source: http://tiny.cc/1svwqx)
- Verizon Wireless network investments: More than $100 billion invested in our U.S. networks since 2000. (Source: http://tiny.cc/1svwqx)
- $9.4B in 2013; $8.9B in 2012; $9.0B in 2011;
- $1.2 billion invested in the Pennsylvania network since 2000;
- $4.1 billion invested in the Ohio network since 2001;
- More than $300 million invested in West Virginia network since 2001.
- SPRINT CLAIM: “Sprint Spark is a powerful, enhanced LTE network capability that incorporates three bands of LTE.” (Sprint Corp. website, December 15, 2014, http://tiny.cc/z4uwqx)
FACT CHECK: Verizon Wireless has been consistently adding capacity to its 4G LTE network using AWS spectrum. The additional bandwidth, called XLTE, is now available in more than 400 markets across the country including many areas in Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, including most recently, Charleston, West Virginia. XLTE delivers faster peak data speeds and a minimum of double the bandwidth to 4G LTE customers in high traffic areas in markets nationwide where AWS spectrum has been activated. Furthermore, we have additional capacity plans in motion for 2015. (Source: http://tiny.cc/bxvwqx)
- “Sprint Spark” cities with additional bandwidth added in Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia (Source: http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp):
- Cincinnati, OH
- Cleveland, OH
- Columbus, OH
- Philadelphia, PA
- Verizon Wireless cities with additional bandwidth added in Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia (Source: http://tinyurl.com/mpwtnbo):
- Akron, OH
- Ashtabula, OH
- Athens, OH
- Canton, OH
- Chillicothe, OH
- Cincinnati, OH
- Cleveland, OH
- Columbus, OH
- Dayton/Springfield, OH
- Defiance, OH
- East Liverpool/Salem, OH
- Findlay-Tiffin, OH
- Lima, OH
- Mansfield, OH
- Marietta, OH
- Marion, OH
- Portsmouth, OH
- Sandusky, OH
- Steubenville, OH
- Toledo, OH
- Youngstown/Warren, OH
- Zanesville, OH
- Allentown/Bethlehem, PA
- Altoona, PA
- Brandford, PA
- Chambergs, PA
- Du Bois/Clearfield, PA
- Erie, PA
- Harrisburg, PA
- Indiana, PA
- Johnstown/Northern Cambria County/Somerset, PA
- Lancaster, PA
- Meadville-Titusville, PA
- New Castle, PA
- Philadelphia, PA
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Reading, PA
- Scranton/Wilkes Barre, PA
- Shamokin, PA
- Sharon, PA
- State College, PA
- Stroudsburg, PA
- Williamsport, PA
- York, PA
- Charleston, WV
- Morgantown, WV
- Weirton, WV
- Wheeling, WV
Pittsburgh Residents Donated Toys during Drive Held at
Area Verizon Wireless Communications Stores
WHO: Verizon Wireless, operator of the nation’s largest and most reliable 4G LTE (Long Term Evolution) network.
Crisis Center North, a domestic violence counseling and educational resource center providing free empowerment counseling and advocacy to adult, teen, and child victims of domestic violence in the northern and western communities of Allegheny County.
WHAT: In an effort to help ensure children affected by domestic violence experience some joy this holiday season, Verizon Wireless held a toy drive at its retail communications stores in the Pittsburgh area. The collection ran from November 24 to December 11 at the company’s 20 area communications stores. In all, Verizon collected 350 new toys for children served by Crisis Center North.
Verizon Wireless also made a $1,000 donation to the organization.
QUOTE: “This holiday season, Verizon Wireless held a toy drive to collect toys for the Crisis Center North to provide to children whose families have recently escaped domestic violence situations,” said Mark Frazier, president–Ohio/Pennsylvania/West Virginia Region, Verizon Wireless. “We’re so pleased that Verizon Wireless will be able to deliver 350 toys and make a $1,000 donation to the Crisis Center North just in time for the holidays. I’d like to thank all of the local residents who helped to make this toy drive a success and this time of year a little brighter for families affected by domestic violence.”
Thanks to Roaming Technologies for the Graphic. http://www.roamingtech.com.
In 2013, a group of researchers out of Finland used foresight assessment tools to take a look that the future of technology. The radical technology foresight study used 48 experts and a social media formatted discussion to generate a list of the most important upcoming feats of science and engineering. It’s no surprise that 3-D printing technology made the list.
Revolutions in Traditional Manufacturing
Until recently, 3-D printers used highly specialized plastic polymers that were expensive and only practical for specific applications. The technology has changed so that metal materials include titanium and aluminum and biological constituents including human cartilage can be used. Being able to use light metals takes large scale traditional extrusion and forming processes and makes them obsolete. Where once we found rows of automated machines designed to bend metal into shapes, we will see 3-D printers that spit out a finished product.
In the last year, we have seen the printing of lower receivers to be customized with traditional AR-15 parts, a human ear, and a heart that saved a two-week-old infant’s life. NASA is even printing 3-D objects in space.
More Common and More Green
There is a difference between a scientific breakthrough and an engineering development. Understanding a new law of science does not mean that there is a practical application. We currently have the scientific know-how to go to a neighboring star but not the engineering ability and economic infrastructure to pull-off the feat.
Researchers are analyzing the practicality of using recycled filaments to create 3-D printed products. Researchers found that the recycling of polyethylene and the use of additive technology could save more than 100 million megajoules of energy annually, according to the journal of Cleaner Production. This level of savings could be the infrastructure boost that 3-D printing needs to make it a viable alternative to traditional manufacturing.
Read the rest of this entry »
Print, Project, Scan and Share Your Way into the 2014 Holiday Gifter “Hall of Fame” with Epson Must-Have Tech and Inspiration
LONG BEACH, Calif. – Dec. 17, 2014 – It’s that time of year again – a season filled with family gatherings, office parties and gift exchanges. While it’s easy to become overwhelmed at the prospect of purchasing and wrapping gifts for everyone on your list, Epson helps ease the stress with several technology must-haves and creative inspiration to help make this year’s holiday gift-giving and gift wrapping personal and memorable.
“Whether you’re buying for the busy stay-at-home mom, uber-imaginative movie buff, recent college graduate entering the workforce, or budding business-savvy entrepreneur, Epson has you covered this holiday,” said Mike Isgrig, vice president, Consumer Sales and Marketing, Epson America. “Our line-up of high performance products offer holiday shoppers lots of options for that perfect gift for friends or family.”
Earn a spot in the 2014 gift giving hall of fame with a few simple and fun ways to easily project, scan, share and preserve memories this holiday season:
- The Portable Office: A perfect addition to the productivity arsenal of busy mobile professionals, small business owners and holiday travelers alike, the Epson® WorkForce® DS-40wireless portable document scanner can be used in the office or on-the go to quickly scan important documents, receipts, business cards, and more – to smartphones, tablets, laptops, or cloud services.
- Productivity Anytime, Any Place: Designed for professionals on the go, the sleek Epson WorkForce WF-100, the world’s lightest and smallest mobile printer1, helps the business-minded de-stress this holiday season. With built-in wireless connectivity, Wi-Fi Direct®2 and an integrated rechargeable battery, print last-minute airplane tickets, travel itineraries and more from nearly anywhere.
- BIG Entertainment: The Epson PowerLite® Home Cinema 3500 projector features 2,500 lumens of color brightness and 2,500 lumens of white brightness3 with up to 70,000:1 contrast ratio for an immersive 2D and 3D 1080p viewing experience. Whether projecting the family’s digital photo collage during the annual holiday gathering, replicating an outdoor holiday-themed starry night campout with the kids or simply hosting holiday movie night, the Home Cinema projector truly does it all.
- Preserving Holiday Memories: The Epson Expression® Premium XP-820 Small-in-One® is an ideal holiday gift for photo enthusiasts, tech lovers and multi-tasking families. The ultra slim all-in-one delivers consumer-rated unbeatable quality4 photos and documents with crisp, sharp text – at home or on the go – with the Epson Connect™ suite of free mobile printing solutions5. The Expression XP-810 tackles a range of tasks with a 30-page Automatic Document Feeder, auto 2-sided printing, copying, scanning and faxing.
Wrap it With Personal Style
With the help of your printer, a computer and a few other ingredients, dressing up your smaller presents can make this year’s gift-giving more memorable than ever, and Epson’s got you covered, literally. Visit the Snapshot blog for the recent DIY Gift Wrap post on Epson’s Community page to check out the Epson DIY Wrapping Paper Generator where you can choose a range of holiday images, fonts, colors, and backgrounds to design, print and wrap smaller gifts with personal style.
Pricing, Availability and Holiday Promotions
The Epson WorkForce DS-40 ($179.99), WorkForce WF-100 ($349.99), Home Cinema 3500 ($1,599.99), and the Expression Premium XP-820 ($199.99) are now available through select retailers nationwide and the Epson online store. Visit www.epson.com for more information.
Epson is a global innovation leader dedicated to exceeding expectations with solutions for markets as diverse as the office, home, commerce, and industry. Epson’s lineup ranges from inkjet printers, printing systems and 3LCD projectors to industrial robots, smart glasses and sensing systems and is based on original compact, energy-saving and high-precision technologies.
Led by the Japan-based Seiko Epson Corporation, the Epson Group comprises more than 73,000 employees in 94 companies around the world, and is proud of its ongoing contributions to the global environment and the communities in which it operates. Epson America, Inc. based in Long Beach, Calif. is Epson’s regional headquarters for the U.S., Canada, and Latin America. To learn more about Epson, please visit: www.Epson.com.
Specifications are subject to change without notice. EPSON, Expression, PowerLite and Workforce are registered trademarks, EPSON Exceed Your Vision is a registered logomark and Epson Connect is a trademark of Seiko Epson Corporation. Small-in-One is a registered trademark of Epson America, Inc. Wi-Fi Direct® is a registered trademarks and Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ is a trademark of Wi-Fi Alliance®. All other product and brand names are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective companies. Epson disclaims any and all rights in these marks. Copyright 2014 Epson America, Inc. CPD-41524 7/14
*Estimated street price
1 World’s lightest and smallest mobile printer based on mobile color inkjet printers priced at $399 (USD) or less, available at U.S. retail stores as of April 2014.
2 Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™; level of performance subject to the range of the router being used. Wi-Fi Direct may require printer software.
3 Color brightness (color light output) and white brightness (white light output) will vary depending on usage conditions. Color light output measured in accordance with IDMS 15.4; white light output measured in accordance with ISO 21118
4 Unbeatable photo quality when compared to leading photo all-in-one printers as of February 2013, validated through independent testing.
5 Most features require an Internet connection to the printer, as well as an Internet- and/or email-enabled device. For a list of Epson Connect enabled printers and compatible devices and apps, visit www.epson.com/connect.
If you are like me, Your kids destroy the factory lightning cables within a week of getting them. Sure you could go to some bargen store and pick up one for $5, but that one only lasts a week also. LUXA2 has released a MFi Certified Lightning Cable that can Charge/Sync and is made from Aluminium Connectors and has a nylon braided cable for long life. The cable itself is 3.3 feet long (1 Meter) The plugs have been tested to 3000 plug cycles. Thermaltake is so confident in the Lightning cable, they have included a 1 year warranty. Does it really work? Take a look at these pictures. The cable shown below is the LUXA2 cable after almost 2 months of daily use by my son. As you can see there is still no visible wear and tear on the cable or connectors.
As you can see with this factory white cable, there is already wear and exposed wires after about a month of use.
The MFi Certified Lighting Cable from LUXA2 will both charge your phone in the same amount of time as the factory cable (fast charging at 2.4A) and transfer data at speeds comparable to the factory cable.This is one of the best upgraded cables out there as you can see by the pictures. The LUXA2 MFi Certified Lighting Cable is available from store.thermaltake.com or Amazon for $19.95
According to some, Pandora and Spotify will lead to the tragic downfall of the music industry. Recently, Taylor Swift made bold claims about Spotify, calling it a “grand experiment,” and pulled her entire discography from the site, just one week after her wildly anticipated album was released. On the other hand, others believe streaming services will save music. Regardless of where you stand, the music industry is changing at a rapid pace, and streaming services are the ones pulling the majority of the strings.
The Rise of Subscription Services
Global recorded music sales in the U.S. totaled $15 billion in 2013 with digital revenues responsible for 39 percent of total sales, reports the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI). This increase in revenue allowed music subscription services to flourish, both in user numbers and sales.
Free-to-consumer and paid-for tiered music subscription services grew by 51 percent in 2013, says the IFPI. This growth predicts the fall in CD revenues, claims Midia Research. However, this does not necessarily mean the end of music. In fact, it feels very similar to the downfall of compact cassettes.
Read the rest of this entry »
If you are like me you wait till the last minute to do all of your Christmas Present shopping. Thanks to your local Verizon Wireless Store you can finish almost all of your shopping in one place. Whether a family member needs a new phone, a friend wants a Bluetooth Speaker, or your child needs a new case. Lets see what all Verizon has to offer.
Verizon has all the latest Smart Phones from Samsung, Apple, HTC, LG, BlackBerry and more. You can check out all of the Phones the offer HERE
Does you Son, Daughter, Husband, Wife, Mother, Father really want or need a tablet for Christmas. Verizon has Dozens of Tablets available now powered by the Nation’s Largest 4G Network
Verizon offers Accessories for all of the Phones and Tablets that they sell. Whether you are looking for a wall charger, case, car charger, battery pack, or Smart Home devices, Verizon has them all.
Have a photography buff? Does you son or daughter love filming themselves doing stunts on their bike or skateboard? Verizon has everything from the GoPro Hero 4 to Accessories, to Camera lens’ for your iPhone
Yes, every kid wants to open toys on Christmas, right after they open their Smart Phone. Why don’t you get them something that will not only give them hours of enjoyment, but also works with the Smart Phone they just got. Verizon has toys from Parrot, Sony Moga, and many more.
Yes, Verizon even sells devices for those in your family who can’t seem to get enough gym time in. They have Fitness trackers such as the Jawbone Up 24, FitBit Charge, Samsung Gear Fit, Fitbit Smart Scale, and Adidas miCoach X_cell.
Does Someone in your family love Golf, Soccer, Baseball or Tennis? Verizon carries ZEPP Sports trackers too.