My friend Ari dropped me a message on Twitter today:
This got me thinking – why would you use GetGlue? why do I use GetGlue?
First, what is this ‘GetGlue’ thing? well, according to GetGlue:
GetGlue is a service that helps you find your next favorite movie, book, music album or other every day thing. GetGlue shows you things that you’ll like based on your personal tastes, what your friends like, and what’s most popular on GetGlue.
Without going into the intricacies of GetGlue using your mobile device you can check in to TV shows, Movies, Music, Podcasts, Books, Magazines, Video Games, Board Games, activities, celebrities, food, drink etc. etc.
The majority of the time I check in to TV shows and movies – mostly because I don’t read as much as I should and don’t get out nearly as much as I should.
While you’re checking in to different things you can post your check-in to Facebook and/or Twitter to share it with others, you can attach your location via FourSquare too.
You don’t have to share your check-in on your Social Networks.
- It’s kind of fun. You can see what your friends are watching, you can see what’s trending, you can converse with others about different shows etc.
- You get warm fuzzies – It’s kind of neat, when you check in to a show you can see how many of your friends and how many others are watching it. I sometimes find myself thinking “Wow – 1200 people are watching this, right now”. It’s quite surprising.
- You get stickers! Actual, real life, stickers! They’re free! Yeah that’s not really a very good excuse but it’s something, right? my iPad case is currently covered in GetGlue stickers. They depend on what you’re checking in to, they can be GetGlue specific or TV show specific etc. It’s nice when you see your stickers in your mail box though.
- You get discounts with the major network stores. Many TV shows have an online store associated with them now. Through a GetGlue check-in you can earn store discounts (10%off most of the time).
- Show your ‘authority’. The more you check-in to something the more GetGlue recognizes you as a fan of it. Of course talking about your favorite stuff on Social Networks helps too. Keep checking in and become a fan.
- Speak out for your favorite things. Any TV network, Studio, publisher and more should be monitoring services like GetGlue, Facebook and Twitter. They should be listening out for people talking about them, maybe even making programming choices depending on what is being said. Think of it as a way to show your appreciation for what you like.
- Leave reviews. Write and share reviews of what you’re watching.
- I’m sure there are other reasons too.
There are quite a few similar check-in type services out there but there’s no doubt that GetGlue has the market share.
Check out GetGlue.com or look for the GetGlue app in your app store.
Do you GetGlue? Why? why not? What do you think?
- GetGlue Partners with Arktan (getglue.com)
- News: GetGlue revamps UI, adds conversation view, leaderboards (ilounge.com)
- Drool over these new GetGlue food stickers (getglue.com)
Author: Andy Quayle
Andy was born in the Isle of Man and currently lives in Pittsburgh.
Known globally as a willing source for tech news and views, Andy takes great pride in consultation and education.
Should his schedule permit, Andy is available to help you with your SEO and Web Analytics needs.